Friday, April 10, 2009

Deception

care-free, bright-eyed child...
Full of energy and creativity...
The future was full of big dreams...
Innocence and imagination...
Such a joy to be around...

Seemingly over night...
A frightened young girl, still very much a child...
Trying so hard to fit in and growing up too quickly...
stolen child-hood...
Insecure and unsure...
Trying to find a way though this confusing time of adolesence...
No hand to hold, no one to guide her...
Eyes are the window to the soul - dark and hurting...
So beautiful and thin, but she does not believe it...
Pain and dissapointment have numbed her...
Too afraid of being hurt again, walls go up...
'you will not see the real me'...

Bombarded with lies, what will she believe?
The media, the culture around her all tell her how to live...
To be popular, to be pretty, to get the boys to like you...
Go shopping, buy more things, it'll make you happy...
Never enough...

LIES, whispers...
"Listen to me and I'll be your best friend.
I'll make you believe this is all you ever wanted.
I'll teach you how to walk, talk, dress, act...
I'll make you into my image, but you won't realize until it's too late.
I'll show you how to be beautiful.
I'll make you popular and show you how to get what you want...
It'll come at a price, but who cares about that?
I'll teach you how to get that guy...
If you'll only wear this dress, show some skin, say this...
Let him know how much you want him, let him touch you...
It doesn't matter, what's the harm in it?
Every one else is doing it, aren't they? 
Come on, no one will ever know...
Listen to me...
Ignore your parents, they don't know anything, anyway...
Be rebellious, you're a teenager, that's what your supposed to do...

"Stick with me and life will be great...
I'll steal your soul and you won't even know it...
Sure your heart will be broken, but do I care?
I'll take you for a ride around the block, 
and when I'm done with you I'll spit you out and run over you.
You mean nothing more to me than a toy to be played with and then tossed out.
For I have come to steal, kill, and destroy.
I want nothing more than to destroy your life, but you don't need to know that."





********************************

I used to be so envious...
I wanted so bad to be one of them...
To be liked, to be pretty, to have friends and get all the guys...
I would do anything, but fate wasn't kind to me...
Or so I thought...

I never had a chance...
stood out like a sore thumb...
Last to be picked in gym class...
No sense of fashion...
Sat alone in silence, watching and wishing...
Thought it was a curse...

Now I realize it was a blessing...
The ugly duckling became the swan princess...
Set apart to soar with the eagles...

The more I am removed from society's pulls and demands,
The more I see past the masks and facades...
Looking past the plastic smiles and the 'Cover Girl' faces...
Gazing straight into the heart of humanity....
To see the hurting and broken heart in all of us...


Look into their eyes... 
Look at them with the compassion of Jesus...
Love them like Jesus...

Get out of the "selfishness box" and look around you,
They're everywhere...

The battle is real...
This is why we are fighting...

No comments:

Post a Comment